Friday, May 19, 2017

How a Trilogy is Killing Me

I have read several trilogies. I have read many book series. Trust me, I know how much of a pain it is to be a reader: always waiting, waiting, Waiting for the next book to come out to find out what is going to happen next. And it just about kills me as a reader. Sometimes, to avoid this situation, I put a book on my to-read list and leave it there for years until I'm sure that the author is done with it. Then, I can read it all in three months or three days...depending on how hooked I am and what is happening in my life.

But...I have to say...writing a trilogy is almost killing me too! As I write, it is like I'm watching a movie in my mind. Another way to explain it would be like saying that I'm reading what I'm writing. The only difference is that I know the big scenes that will eventually be written. I know how the main plots are going to be played out. I know the reasons why the villains are doing what they are doing and the protagonists main weaknesses...and who's going to call them out on it. 

And (sorry for being redundant...no, actually I'm not sorry), It's Killing Me!

Writing half of a chapter takes a lot more brain power than what I actually realize...that is, I don't realize until I take a moment to take my fingers off the keyboard and think about nothing for a moment. Then I notice that my head is starting to ache. Sometimes I need to stop its so bad. Other times I just can't stop. Sound familiar, fellow bookworms? Like those times when you are in the middle of a really, really good book and it's two a.m., but you just can't stop...that would be ridiculous! Yes, it would. Especially if you know what's coming, but don't know exactly when and under what circumstances.

That is what it is like for me right now. The main reason I want to finish the second book with Cassie and the gang is to start the next book. I want to experience what will happen just as I wanted to experience what would happen when I read "The Lady of Bolton Hill" by Elizabeth Camden. Oh, and the hundreds of other good books I've ever read.

To sum up: bookworm pain is extremely similar to writer pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment